Hyland House Museum
Description and history
The Hyland House is located a short way east of Guilford's central town green, on the north side of Boston Street just east of Graves Avenue. It is a 2+1⁄2-story wood-frame structure, with a gabled roof, stone central chimney, and clapboarded exterior. Its main facade is five bays wide, with small-pane diamond-lighted windows arranged symmetrically around the center entrance. The entrance is simply framed, with a four-light transom window above. The rear roof face extends to the first floor, giving the house a classic New England saltbox profile. Its interior is noted for its decoratively chamfered girts, believed to be one an early example of this type of decoration.
The house has long been ascribed a construction date of about 1660, when builder George Hyland is thought to have built a house on this property. However, tree-ring dating conducted on its major timbers dates its construction to about 1713 or soon afterward, likely by the then-landowner, Isaac Parmelee. The house underwent an extensive restoration in 1917 by the architectural historian Norman Isham. The restoration was funded by the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities, now Historic New England.
See also
- List of the oldest buildings in Connecticut
- National Register of Historic Places listings in New Haven County, Connecticut
References
- ^ http://www.shorelinetimes.com/articles/2015/02/19/news/doc54e209fa4507d620879383.txt
- ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. January 23, 2007.
- ^ "NRHP nomination for Hyland-Wildman House". National Park Service. Retrieved September 19, 2018.
External links
- Official website
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. CT-117, "Hyland-Fiske-Wildman House, Boston Street, New Haven, New Haven County, CT", 2 photos, 6 measured drawings, supplemental material