Walpole Academy
Description and history
The former Walpole Academy building stands on the south side of Walpole's village center, set well back on the east side of Main Street. It is a 2+1⁄2-story wood-frame structure, covered with gabled roof and wooden clapboards. The building has a classic Greek temple appearance, with Doric columns supporting an entablature and a triangular pediment with a fanlight detail. The building is topped by an octagonal, arcaded cupola.
Walpole Academy was established as a private secondary school in 1825. The present building was erected in 1831, probably by Aaron Prentiss Howland, a local builder known for many local high quality Greek Revival designs. The academy remained private until 1853, when the town acquired it for use as its high school. It was purchased from the town by the historical society in 1950. The museum now houses items of local interest, including town records and historical artifacts.
See also
References
- ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- ^ "NRHP nomination for Walpole Academy". National Park Service. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
External links
Media related to Walpole Academy at Wikimedia Commons
- Walpole Historical Society - Academy Museum